Buying a home can be one of the most exciting experiences of your life. This can be true whether you’ve purchased several homes or you’re preparing to buy for the first time. With the right support system and the help of a trusted RE/MAX® professional, you can make the most informed decisions.
Our guide breaks down the steps of buying a home so you can start the process feeling confident and prepared. From developing your budget to signing your name on the dotted line, you’ll find helpful tips right here. Plus, we are here to help every step of the way. Contact our agents at RE/MAX Andrew Realty Services today and start your coastal New England home search.
New England Home-Buying Guide
1. Define Your Goals
Before you start looking, consider why you want to buy a home. Are you tired of renting? Do you want to buy an investment property? Figuring out why you want to purchase a home will help you make important decisions down the road. Considering what you want and need out of your home will help you narrow down your home search as well. What neighborhood do you want to live in? How many bedrooms do you need? Knowing your preferences can help with filtering out homes that don’t fit your criteria.
2. Pick a RE/MAX Agent
Buying a home is one of the biggest investments you may ever make. Whether you’re buying your first home, relocating, or just moving down the street — you want a trusted professional by your side. Working with a qualified RE/MAX agent can make this process easier, helping guide you through the home search, purchase agreements, inspections, closing matters, and more. Having an agent who has your best interests at heart can ease some of your stress and can help make it go as smoothly as possible.
3. Determine Your Financial Standing
Knowing your budget up front helps you focus your search and can save you both time and stress. Talking to a mortgage professional can help you to determine your buying power. They can help you to find out how much you can afford, how much you should put towards a down payment, and can walk you through loan options and other costs or fees associated with purchasing a home. Consider asking your agent for a referral; they understand your needs and can help find a professional for your situation.
4. Make an Offer
Once you find a home you’re interested in, your agent can help negotiate a fair offer based on comparable homes in the area. If your offer is accepted, you’ll make a down payment and be officially under contract. During the due-diligence period between signing the purchase agreement and closing on your home, your agent can help you understand the conditions, provisions, and obligations of your contract. They can also help guide you through the appraisal and inspection processes.
5. Close on Your Home
This is the final step of your home-buying journey. Closing is the official transfer of ownership from the seller to the buyer. At closing, you will sign your mortgage paperwork to solidify your purchase. From there, you officially become a homeowner and will be handed the keys to your new home so you can begin making memories.
How We Can Help
The Tools to Help You Find Your Home
Once you’ve defined your home search goals, discussed them with your RE/MAX agent, and have spoken with a mortgage professional to see what your buying power is — you’re ready to find your dream home! In addition to our local knowledge on the current market, we offer online tools that can help make your initial search as easy as possible.
- Find a Home Using Our Interactive Map Search: We know that location plays an important role in the home buying process. Use the map search available on our website to view homes located in or near the area you love.
- Get to Know the Neighborhood: Feel confident and informed about your neighborhood choice! On any listing page, you can learn more about the communities you are interested in, including a breakdown of the local population, school ratings, and more. Learn more about Malden, Medford, Somerville, and Stoneham.
- Create an Account on Our Website: Sign up for an account on our website to save searches, favorite homes you love, receive real-time property alerts, and more!
- Download Our RE/MAX Mobile App: Available for iOS and Android devices, our app brings the same experience found on our website to your smartphone or tablet. Save searches, favorite listings, and schedule showings — all while on the go!